Friday, October 20, 2006

Maneater?

Nelly Furtado has crossed over to the R&B section, entering the growing stable of R&B artistes with the release of her singles Maneater and Promiscuous. I like the melodies and the rhythms of the songs for which I’m in awe of the200px-maneater_cover1.jpg songwriter - Nelly herself. In fact, Maneater is so infectious that it has been playing in my head for days now.

So what is it I don’t like? Well, the fact that she doesn’t sound like she’s totally at home in R&B city, thats what. If anything, she lacks the power and the vocal runs that the queens of R&B are known for. Nearing the end of Maneater, she seems to have run out of ideas vocally, contenting herself to ad lib to the chorus.

The music videos for both singles sadly did not do her justice at all. Firstly, she can’t really dance and secondly, her sexiness did not come across. I don’t know, but she fades in comparison to her co-singer - Timbaland and the other cameos in her Promiscuous video.
Don’t get me wrong. She’s a great singer. I liked Turn Out the Lights and I’m Like A Bird more. This girl should just stick to pop. Or R&B infused pop.

No bite from this one, I’m afraid.

No comments: